Skip to main content

3 Childhood memories of Repair



The tools (औज़ार ) 


Photo:(Repair Cafe Bengaluru)

He had a set of tools, assortment of screws, nails, bolts, leftover strands of wires, old tapes and so on. It was kept in a small aluminium box which he painted with a motif of an elephant. On holiday at home, he could be seen repairing his old cooler or fixing a switch. Many times I observed his obsession for repairing and keeping household things, not buying new ones. That was my father.


The Cobbler (मोची)

Photo:(Repair Cafe Bengaluru)

I grew up in a middle class neighbourhood where I visited a cobbler to repair my shoes, bags, belts and so on. Many would hardly notice her. She would be seen under a makeshift shade of an old, torn plastic supported by wooden pegs. She sits on a footpath surrounded with tools, shoes, scraps etc. She always has company. She talks and works.

The Bartanwali (बर्तनवाली)


Photo:(Times of India)

Old clothes were kept safely. When asked the answer was: kept to give away to the “bartanwali”.These are the ladies who as seen balancing steel utensils on their head while holding a child in their arm. A ball of clothes hanging on the shoulder. They would visit the homes and householders would get new utensil in exchange for old clothes. Entire kitchens were collected like that.


I still see these people in the streets. Do children today observe them? I like to stop and observe the legacy of repair culture in our Indian society which refuses to die.



-By Himadri Das and Purna Sarkar





Comments

  1. We middle class (generation x) r known to recycle products with such help at hand.Not appreciated by the current Millennials and Generation z.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope more repair possiblity opens up soon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience in a repair cafe workshop as a visitor

Hello, Myself with my wife and daughter joined repair workshop happened in Azim Premji University(sarjapur,bengaluru) on oct-15-2022.It was our first repair workshop and we brought many damaged stuffs( ironbox, weighing scale, bluetooth speaker, outdated laptop/tablet ) from our home as we are in the process of decluttering home. Photo: By Karthik (Repair Cafe BengaluruWorkshop@ Physics Lab) I have interest in DIY but lack a foundational understanding of how things work. Volunteers were really helpful and I would like to call out Jithendran sir's knowledge and teaching. He patiently answered all our questions and explained in layman terms. My wife and I were completely involved in diagnosing and repairing those items with him and other volunteers. Photo: By Karthik (repair cafe at work) For example,Ironbox we got from our home was having issues with sparking sometime. They helped us to dismantle it and guided us on how we could diagnose the problem ( it turned out that the iron b

3 tools which is a must in your teen's tool box...

  #1 the Foot-ruler  The need to measure something is a day-to-day need. But very few act on it. I understood the measurement of [feet] when I went to learn swimming. The teacher said: Hey! do you realize that you can stand in 5 [feet] of water? Yes, I realized to myself. Also children are asked about their height and many struggle to answer in centimeters or feet. I observed a tailor, who with his experience, can measure the heights/ lengths / widths. It comes handy with practise. #2 Set of Screw-drivers This is probably the tool, I used most. It's really very easy to use it. But there is a skill involved in identifying the right type and size to fit the screw head. As a youngster (not that I am too old now) I would use a screw-driver to tighten a screw in a utensil. Many-a-times when I don't find the right size of screw-driver, the tendency is to do quick fix job. Eventually, I realized this harms the tool as well the screw heads. #3 Set of Spanners For those children into bi